Purpose and Position Summary:
The Project Manager, Climate Finance supports the activities of the company in areas of Business Development and Project Management. The Project Manager will be responsible for growing and implementing a portfolio of climate finance
related projects and other areas of strategic interest such as sustainable finance.
Core Areas of Accountability and Responsibility:
- Manages a growing portfolio of relevant projects. Lead in regular tracking and reporting on results against expected targets and revenue
- Provides oversight on key issues and risks to portfolio and individual projects. Identifies issues and develops action plans and solutions to address constraints and bottlenecks
- Provides strong technical and strategic input on projects and key deliverables, serves as the internal technical lead in climate change and related areas (e.g. sustainable finance)
- Manages a small team of internal consultants and provides performance management, mentoring and coaching to individuals. Providing onboarding and support as needed, directing project teams through the project lifecycle
- Makes improvements on current project management systems, processes and tools to enhance quality, timeliness and effectiveness of project deliverables and activities
- Manages and supports client interactions as well as consultant performance management. Keeps knowledge and information flowing seamlessly throughout relevant stakeholders
- Manages project budgets, ensuring timely invoicing and submission of high-quality deliverables on time and within budget
- Leads and manages their portfolio’s business development strategy and reporting
- Proactively identifies, develops, and follows up new opportunities related to climate finance, climate changes and other areas of strategic interest (e.g. sustainable finance) with the support of the Business Development team
- Conducts regular and consistent review of business development tenders and recommend opportunities that represent good corporate fit
- Leads and/or supports the development of EOIs and winning proposals related to their portfolio and IFCL’s focus areas including strategic input on the overall approach, methodology, team composition and structure, etc.
- Supports broader business development opportunities, such as identification of strategic partners/potential clients/experts, development of thought leadership articles and reports, creates speaking engagement opportunities, contributes to marketing and social media efforts, etc.
- Manages key accounts and client relationships, and supports the BD team (and the CEO) in the development of new partnerships
- Actively participates in weekly Project Management and Business Development Meetings, providing strategic input, follow-up and addressing issues as they arise
- Supports continuous improvements in the organization including enhancing existing systems, processes, tools and other areas as needed
- Contributes to staff capacity building efforts including learning lab activities, performance management reviews and inputs, mentoring of junior consultants, etc.
- Demonstrates and champions IFCL’s core values and related behaviors across all aspects of team interactions and project execution
Key Relationships and Interactions:
- Reports to the Director of Projects
- Key collaborators: Business Development unit, Corporate Development unit
- Key external interactions: clients, external technical experts (consultants)
The ideal candidate will bring the following background and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of relevant work experience. Graduate level degree preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience in managing projects funded by public or international development agencies and clients, and/or relevant private sector experience
- Sound experience in project management techniques, including monitoring, reporting, budgeting, staff management and stakeholder management as well as knowledge management.
- Good understanding and consulting experience working on climate finance or climate change-related projects; knowledge of sustainable finance would be an added value
- Prior experience developing and writing funding proposals targeting funding agencies or clients in the area of international development
- Demonstrated success growing and leading expert teams working on projects of international scope and impact
- Proven ability to ensure quality, client-ready deliverables-capable of being the final sign-off ensuring that the entire output reaches IFCL high quality standards
- Strong people skills and ability to manage multiple relationships and build trust and capacity around them
- Advanced organizational and management skills required to coordinate and direct the talent, process, and expertise needed for any project, regardless of the scope and complexity
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and maintain quality, detail and organization across multiple assignments
- Ability to supervise and work effectively with a remote team, building strong cross-functional relationships across the organization
Definitions of Success:
Team Satisfaction and Accountability – Feedback from consulting teams during and post-project indicate expectations were met or exceeded. Feedback from IFCL core team members on tasks related to business development and corporate development is positive and indicate an openness to learn and support various initiatives. Communication flows seamlessly and there is accountability to all IFCL stakeholders - from colleagues to management to external consultants to clients.
Quality Standards – Delivers the highest quality standards on each project and task assigned, from set-up through coordination of teamwork, to the quality of the final product to an outstanding client experience.
Continuous Improvement and Innovation – Continues to refine the project management process and build and innovate on various outputs, encouraging growth and development. Improvements are being realized in workflow efficiencies and effectiveness.
Project Management Excellence – Projects and tasks are completed within timelines set, and if extensions are required, the appropriate communication and approvals are in place. Documents are where they are supposed to be, all updates are recorded, and all parties involved are informed of project status at all times.
We are International Financial Consulting Ltd. (IFCL), a Canadian-based advisory firm of global experts working with development finance institutions and other public-policy based financial institutions around the world on a wide range of challenges, from strategy and governance to the design and marketing of financial instruments. Our motto is “Better Institutions; Better Outcomes”. We focus on those institutions financing the “World’s To-Do List’, i.e. the UN SDGs.
Our core competency is in institutional development, including strategic planning, evaluation, policy formulation and programming, product innovation, governance systems and risk management. We have extensive experience across all areas, including trade finance, export and investment finance, development finance and climate finance. We combine senior expertise with data-driven insights and customized advisory services to help our clients realize their full potential as catalysts for development, trade, and sustainable economic growth.
International Financial Consulting Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes diverse applicants. To learn more about us, please visit https://www.i-financialconsulting.com.
To apply, please send a cover letter and an updated resume to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is on April 23, 2021.